Effective Use of PE Sports Premium Funding
For 2016/2017 Paddocks Primary School has received approximately £8,000 which we have used or will be using to improve our PE and sport provision in the following ways:
- We contributed a significant proportion of funding to our local network, the Forest Heath Schools Sports Partnership. Membership of this partnership allows us to participate in a wide variety of inter-school tournaments in the Newmarket and Mildenhall area. We are also able to send teachers on CPD courses, access 18 hours worth of sports coaches to upskill teachers, and allow gifted and talented children to attend specialist workshops as a result of our membership.
- Introduced ‘Balanceability’ cycling lessons to children in Year 1.
- Part funded ‘Bikeability’ for children in Year 5 and 6.
- Employed specialist qualified coaches to work with teachers to enhance and develop their skills and confidence in delivering quality PE lessons, covering all aspects of the PE curriculum.
- Worked with FHPSSA manager Ian Jackson to evaluate PE provision and support PE development and improvement at Paddock
- Purchased additional equipment as necessary to enhance PE lessons and additional clubs.
- Gave children the skills, knowledge, training and resources to be able to assist in leading their own games and activities at break times and lunchtimes through the Play Leader scheme.
- Purchased a centralised scheme of work for all staff, in line with the new National Curriculum.
In the future we will spend the remaining funds on:
- Continue to provide qualified coaches to work alongside our teachers to provide quality first teaching in PE and Games lessons.
- Provide/purchase additional resources for break and lunchtime to enhance playground activities.
- Training more children as play leaders during lunchtimes to improve social interaction and sports skills.
- Working towards earning the Gold School Games Mark in 2018/19.
- Ensure the monitoring and use of the new scheme of work.
Impact so far:
- A healthy participation in inter school sports competitions.
- In 2016/2017, Paddocks attended the U11 Football tournament, the U11 Hockey tournament, Sportshall Athletics, U10 Mini Soccer event, U11 Netball, Mini-Tennis and the Primary School Multi-Sports event.
- Year 5 and Year 6 children have been trained to become ‘Play Leaders’, where they teach games and dance to children in Year 1 and Year 2 during their lunch hour. This has raised the profile of PE around the school.
- After school clubs in Football, Hockey, Athletics, Basketball, Cricket, Tennis, Rounders and Tag Rugby took place.
- Premier Sport and Premier Dance also offered after school clubs.
- A new gymnastics club has been established.
- Upskilled teacher’s subject knowledge and confidence with delivery of PE, through our involvement with Premier Sports coaches. This will help to ensure sustainable improvement for the future.
- Broader range of sports and activities offered to all children, through PE lessons, extra-curricular clubs and our Play Leader scheme.
- Increased number of children being chosen to represent Paddocks at the Forest Heath Gifted and Talented Workshop.